Diet and Weight Loss

What Weight Loss Actually Does to Your Fat

weightloss-and-fat

There are many misconceptions about what happens to our fat as we lose weight. This is not only the case with the general public, but with medical practitioners as well. Most people believe burned fat turns into energy and heat, but that would violate the law of conservation of mass.

fitness-11

Recently, a new study exploring the metabolic processes and biochemistry of weight loss has been done and the results, published in the British Medical Journal, are somewhat surprising. We put on weight when excess carbohydrates are converted into triglycerides which are made of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. In order to lose weight, we have to access the carbon in the triglycerides. Oxygen atoms are shared between the carbon and hydrogen in our fat at a ratio of 2:1 which means they form two thirds of carbon dioxide and one third of water. That leads to the conclusion that 84% of fat turns into carbon dioxide and the remaining 16% turns to water. So, we exhale most of our burned fat through our lungs, and the rest of it we excrete through our sweat and urine.

Who would have thought our fat turns into thin air?

But we all know losing weight can be quite a challenge. Sometimes our body simply reaches a plateau or we might be doing something wrong. Here is a quick checklist to help you.

  1. Eat less, move more

This is the golden rule. Find as many opportunities for moving about as you can, including your work – you can always find a few minutes to stretch and warm up. Cycle, walk, skate, swim, but do get moving.

  1. Work out in the morning

You are more likely to do your workout if you do it as soon as you get up, before breakfast. People who work out after work or in the evenings tend to skip their workouts more when they are tired. Therefore, the way to stick to your routine is to be an early bird.

  1. Get food and supplement smart

Obviously, you need to adjust your diet and if you can’t do this alone, get help from a professional dietician or nutritionist. Learn about workout supplements like whey protein which help your body drop fat.

  1. Keep track of your calories

The easiest way to keep track of your weight loss is to use a calorie calculator and count all the calories you eat and spend in a day. Make sure you spend more than you eat.

weight-loss-and-fat

  1. Increase the intensity of your workout

If you are doing your cardio and strength exercises but not losing weight, you need to increase the intensity and check if you are doing everything correctly. You can ask a professional trainer or watch how strength training is done properly then check yourself in the mirror. If your muscles are not fatigued after 12 reps, you need to get heavier weights. Also, increase your cardio intensity to get your heart pumping.

You are bound to see good results if you follow these simple steps, just remember to change your workouts regularly and challenge your body. With good will and determination, you can turn that fat into thin air!

SUBSCRIBE TO HEALTHY FOOD HOME
NEWSLETTER

Get Interesting Stuff and Updates to Your Email Inbox
10 000+ Monthly Readers

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *